Friday, November 28, 2014

The Fruit of The Spirit Series: Goodness

Happy Friday! And on a Holiday weekend?? Score. 
Today I am continuing my series on The Fruit Of The Spirit Series. The Fruit today is going to be brought to you by: Me! No guest poster today. 

So, Goodness huh? I gotta be honest, this one was a toughy for me. Goodness isn't as easy to define and talk about to me as lets say - Love, or Kindness. 

Think about it. Goodness. Is that like Kind-ness? Slapping a "ness" to the end of the word. The act of being good? So is that, what, being a good person? Is one of the attributes of being one who believes in The Lord and is seeking after Him - being Good? 
Seems too simple.

So I started thinking about all the times I use the word "Goodness" Here is what I got: "I can't wait to enjoy this mocha and all it's  chocolately goodness"  "oh my goodness! look at those cute boots!" 
That really got me no where.So then I started thinking about God and all the times I think/ talk about Him being good.
 "God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good" 

So that's when it hit me. That's the angle I am going with. God is good. He is so good to me. He is generous, gracious, He has a plan for me, He is loving, He knows the depths of my depravity and He still loves me.

God is good. 
Even though life isn't perfect. Life is hard. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in life is certain (which if you're me can lead to anxiety). But even though nothing in life is certain. God is still God. He is still good. I still have a reason to worship Him. I still have hope. 

Well after I had established that I still wasn't really any closer to figuring out how to apply this to my life. I am not God. I am not able to forgive sins, and save people. Then it hit me. Being Good/ having Goodness just means being like Christ. All the things about Him we would label good - I, we, should strive to be that way.

Serving people, loving people, forgiving people, forgiving ourselves. 

I apologize for this rambling, incoherent, not super conclusive post. I don't have it all together. I don't have a lot of the answers I am searching for. But I am trying. Thank you for stickin' around. 


What do you think Goodness is? How do you see Goodness in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! I try to answer every comment and I read each one, they mean so much to me!